RELOCATING TO NYC I Brooklyn, New York I (For a Month)
My beautiful grandmother used to have restless leg syndrome. When she sat down longer than it took to sip her mid day Turkish coffee and cigarette, she had an irresistible urge to move her legs.
I caught my grandmother’s restless syndrome, but it traveled up my legs and into my core. I have an irresistible urge to move when I’m not challenging my creativity.
Creativity is both miserable and wonderful when you have someone to aspire to. Miserable, because you acknowledge how much work your work needs and wonderful because there’s so much work to work towards.
I’ve been following V.K.Rees, a food photographer based out of Brooklyn, since I first pointed my camera at food. Briefly, She is Cool! At length, have a look at her work.
When I was in Tangalle, Sri Lanka some months ago, the lively sea, the open tuk tuks and sound of cracking coconuts put me in the right mood to settle my growing restlessness and contact V.K.Rees aka Vanessa.
So here I am, its mid April 2018 and I’m screaming “I CAN’T WAIT!”
I can’t wait to spend May 2018 interning with Vanessa and I can’t wait to spend May 2018 living with Brooklyn, New York.
I’ve visited several times, but having my own sunny brown stone walkup, is everything.
Even though a month is long, it’s so short. (Do I make sense?) So I put down what I want in May 2018:
1. Immerse myself in photography
2. Become comfortable with strobe lighting in food photography
3. Learn new styling techniques for food photography
4. Learn new editing techniques for food photography
5. Learn brainstorming/preparation/workflow techniques for shoot days
6. Complete a best practice log book entry after each day with VKR
7. Complete a necessary equipment list
8. Set a strategy plan
9. Dedication to documenting my time in NYC
10. It’s time to speak on my stories
11. Start Instagram Highlights + Guide to NYC + Change
12. 4 - Week in review posts
13. Street photography of My Brooklyn
14. Capture beautiful portraits
15. Uncovering Craftsmen of Brooklyn
16. Join a photography group
17. Work in the NYC public library
18. Visit flee market for props
19. Make my place my own, print photo for space, candles
20. Cook in once a week
21. Have 1 dinner with friends over
22. Flower market once a week
23. Farmers market once a week
24. Local wine and cheese charcuterie night
25. Visit grocery store for daily use products to buy in bulk
26. Visit Museum of Modern Art
27. Dress up, every day is an occasion in NYC
28. Get a NYC Hair Cut
29. Have NYC play list
30. Visit local Jazz Bars
31. Conquer laundry/ Get a steamer / Get a trolley
32. Visit B&H and purchase something
33. Shopping: one splurge item and go to Bloomingdales OUTLET
34. Visit/read local print in the park
35. Restaurants, Restaurants, Restaurants
a. Best Restaurant in the World
b. According to List
Tell me everything you love about New York so I can experience it as well!
And most importantly,please join me on my May 2018 Photography journey.
Location: Brooklyn, New York